Often in life I complain (usually to myself) about everything I have to do – always feel like there are toys to be picked up, dirty dishes, full baskets of laundry to wash/put away, work to do, lunches to pack…. Does this sound familiar? I want to start looking at life with a different set of “glasses”.. I need a change of heart… I need to PREPARE for THANKFULNESS.
I just finished a book by Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. Ann wrote this book after starting writing a daily list of things she was thankful for until she reached 1,000. It seemed to change her life… At times in her book she got a little “heavy” for me and when she could be thankful when her children fought, I decided I have a long way to go before I get to that point (LOL)… She has a website if you would like to check her out (http://onethousandgifts.com/a-letter-from-ann)
I realized, for me, thankfulness does not come naturally – complaining does! I have to LEARN to look for blessings until it becomes natural. This is a flaw of humans from the beginning of time – think about it – if Adam and Eve would have sat in the Garden of Eden and looked around and had been THANKFUL ENOUGH for what God gave them Eve wouldn’t have needed the apple…
I am no different, I have a house – but want a bigger one. I have food in the fridge but it’s not what I am hungry for (just like Eve with a garden full of everything but wanting the apple). I have a car but it is used. I have a great job, but want more money… Does it ever end???
I read this blog two days ago – between finishing the book and reading this – I have so much to be THANKFUL for… the material things may only last for the moment, but I am THANKFUL that I have that moment… (WARNING grab your tissues – remember this blog is by a woman with children 4 and 6!!!); http://toddlerplanet.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/how-did-we-get-here/
So, I am starting my journey of my THANKFUL list… A couple years ago I wrote a list of 100 things in a short period of time (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1180232128&ref=tn_tnmn#!/note.php?note_id=462054111532) . But in 2012 I am sure that I can do 1,000 – that is less than 3 blessings a day for a year – God gives daily blessings… I just have to PREPARE to look for things to be thankful…
So to start I am THANKFUL for things I have grumbled about in the last few days…
- all the toys across the floor – means Samuel is at play
- music blaring in the car – means Mary is with me
- full sink of dishes – means I have food to eat
- dirty clothes that I have to wash – means I have clothes to wear
- snoring husband – means he is home in my bed (and not out at a fire)
- wood to carry in – means I have a source of heat
- floor to vacuum – means a roof over my head
- bills to pay – means I have life luxuries and a job to pay them
- alarm clock going off – means I am alive another day
- dirty muffin tins – means I finally got Jim’s cake made (a day late but done)
- meeting at work time changed – means I have a job to go to
- gray hair – means I am not battling cancer with chemo and have hair
- dirty bathroom – means I have a shower and not an outhouse
- running to get kids – means I have children and a car to get them
- cancelled appointments – means I had time with a friend
Dear Lord, please PREPARE my eyes to see the blessings around me, my heart to welcome the blessings, and my mouth to praise you for the blessings. PREPARE me to be content with what you provide and not yearning for the APPLE.